There's a heat wave that's hitting us here in Washington and it's unbearable to be outside. I was going to finish the bench project yesterday night but it didn't cool off until after dark and I figured handling power tools in the dark is probably not a good idea! So I got up early this morning and went to work, determined to get the bench done today.
Here some pictures of the process:
The bottom and the sides
Attaching the diagonal support for the sides
Alex helpin' me out
It took about three hours to assemble after all the pieces were assembled together. I got to use a table saw, drill, power screw driver, chop saw and my brute strength and creativity.
There were some minor hiccups (i.e., the top piece ended up being shorter than the width of the bench) but that's to be expected since this is my first solo building project and I didn't really know what to watch out for and how to troubleshoot some issues.
But ultimately, I'm really proud and excited to say that I built something useful! And it will be something that stays behind. It will be my legacy at Sidhehaven. Without further ado here are the before and after pictures of the bench spot:
The best part about this bench is that most of it was built from salvaged wood--only the top and the two inserts are new pieces of wood. Using salvaged materials is, as I've learned here, a permaculture principle but it does present a challenge in building. This is perhaps why there were problems with how pieces fit together and why I wasn't 100% satified with my work. However (and this is a big "however") I must remember that this is my first building project and keeping that in mind it turned out wonderfully.
And Sherry liked it! Yay!