Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Where I am now

There have been long discussions and much thought about what I and Alex wanted to get out of my experience here out west. I think it has turned out to be a much different experience than I had anticipated. I expected to still be on a farm by now and preparing for a bountiful yet exhausting harvest. I expected weekly trips to sell at the farmer's market and to have lovely get togethers, barter parties, and harvest festivals. So, I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed by the way things have turned out.

However, despite what happened at Westwind Farm I am thankful that I've had the experiences that I've had. I learned so much about how to deal with difficult interpersonal situations and confirmed that I can stand up for myself no matter how nerve wracking it may seem at the time. I have also learned that if I leap, the safety net will appear. I've learned to trust myself and know that no matter what happens I can make the best of a situation.

Being at Sidhehaven, has given me a chance to reflect and become more centered. I've also been able to learn more about plants and permaculture and I've gotten to build something--all things I wanted to accomplish. Then there are things like fermenting foods and making bagels that I didn't expect to learn. I'm thankful for all of these experiences, even if they weren't what I expected. Yet, ultimately, I think I've learned what I can learn here.

Because it's near the end of the growing season I don't think Alex and I will be going to another farm and since we feel our time at Sidhehaven is up we are planning to head home. Minnesota has been calling--it was a faint but persistant call. We need to come home, recharge, regroup, and figure out what our next step will be.

I will miss a lot of things about the West coast and our experiences here, and there's no guarantee that we wont be back, but we're looking forward to our trip home. Well, maybe not the long road trip itself but definitely looking forward to being in Minnesota again.

In the meantime, there will still be a little more from this blog, so continue to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment